Article

The Department of Radiology

radiology

Radiology

Department of Radiology started as a unit then in the department of Medicine in 1953 under Professor Alexander Brown who was the first Head of Department. In 1957, Dr W. Peter Cockshott arrived in UCH as the first consultant radiologist and took on the task of relocating the Department from Adeoyo Hospital to the present UCH. Soon after, there was a need to expand the office accommodation which at inception was a mere four-room office space. 

In 1961 Lord Norfield of Oxford through a foundation named after him donated an angiographic unit to UCH, which necessitated an expansion of the space to accommodate this equipment.

In 1974, a Philips angiography machine was again donated by the West German Government. The Radiotherapy building which was part of the Department was started in 1977 and completed 10 years later, afterward this led to development of a West Wing extension to the central x-ray department. 

Activities are to Schedule patients for investigation,Carry out investigation promptly and Send reports to referring physician Over the years, more than six hundred publications have been generated by the staff of the Department based on clinical research. There are 22 Radiographers in the department all working in the various units in the department. These include the MRI suite, CT suite, Central X-ray unit, out-patient unit, Mammography and Fluoroscopy unit. The department now has the position of Deputy Director of Radiograph and Mrs. O. O. Oyedele is the first to occupy this post. The department has been a training centre for Radiographers from other Universities in the country and several workshops, updates, courses in CT and MRI have been held in collaboration with the Institute of Radiographers. 

2005 was a land mark year for the department with the provision of new state of the art imaging equipment in the hospital through the FGN/ VAMED engineering refurbishment of tertiary institutions initiative and were commissioned by the then President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. These included four basic radiographic equipments and the Magnetic Resonance Imaging Machine (MRI). 

The latest and most striking indicator of the success of this initiative is the newly built MRI Suite. Commissioning of the new building took place on the 5th of December 2005. With the new building strategically placed besides the Accident and Emergency department of the hospital and networking with the other imaging units, we have created one of the nation's largest centers for medical imaging. 

Tags: