The Road to Computerization that started in the year 1977 became open in 1987 when the first Computer Programmer Mr. M.A Adetunji was employed with Dr. E.A Bamgboye now a Professor of Biostatistics and the former Deputy Vice chancellor(Administration),University of Ibadan, as the Consultant to the Project. The Present Information Technology Department was fully commissioned as Computer and Data Management Unit (UCH) in July,1988 during the tenure of Late Prof. Olukayode Osuntokun as Chief Medical Director of UCH from 1986-1989 with seven members of Staff. In the year 2004, it was renamed Information Technology Department with Mr. M.A Adetunji being the first Head of Department till the year 2011 When Mr Ogedengbe Idowu took over the leadership of the department.
It is worthy to note that under the leadership of the former CMD Professor Abiodun Ilesanmi, the hospital made a giant stride by embarking upon extensive installation of Wired and Wireless Network using state of the art equipment across the entire hospital with every consulting room, office, laboratory, clinic and ward connected. In order to complete the loop, Computers and servers were purchased to run Health Information System (HIS). At present, under the leadership of the present CMD Prof Temitope Oluwagbemiga Alonge, The hospital recorded a breakthrough when the consultants could have access to patients’ radiological images electronically without stress. Also, provision of robust HIS which is currently being implemented, stable internet access which is being enjoyed and biometric ID card which is being handled by the department are also visions of Prof Alonge.
The IT department is responsible for the development, implementation, and support of the IT systems, services, and infrastructure across the hospital. The department comprises of 37 members of staff.
What services are provided?
- Service Desk (2327, 2484) – operating between 08:00 and 17:00, contactable by visiting, by phone. They aim to resolve as many problems and request as possible at the first point of contact.
- Desktop Support (3108, 08174607575) – to resolve issues with IT devices that are used by our staff. These will include PCs, laptops, printers and mobile devices.
- Applications Support and Implementation (08174607577)– Implementing Hospital Information System, helping our staff use their IT systems, and liaison with Suppliers and the other Technical teams.
- Network Infrastructures (2484,08174607573) – these are the ‘back-office’ technical team, with the specialist skills that keep the core server and network systems running smoothly.
- Software Development – provision of new applications; building and maintaining modified software, website development.
- Identity Management – Executes all identity related project in the hospital, Printing of Biometric Card and Implementation of identification management system that would ensure the uniqueness of all staff in the hospital, which would automate and improve the planning processes and also enhance delivery of services.
- Computer Training- provide computer training to schools in the hospital, staff and outsiders. Conduct of computer test for the promotion and employment exercise.
- Database : ensure database availability, integrity and security