The University College Hospital, Ibadan was established by an act of parliament in November 1952 in 5response to the need for the training of medical personnel and other healthcare professionals for the country and the West African Sub-Region. The establishment of the Hospital was sequel to a Visitation Panel in 1951 to assess the clinical facilities for the clinical postings of medical students registered for M.B.B.S. degree of the University of London. The visitation panel, led by Dr T.F. Hunt of the University of London rejected the enhanced facilities provided by the Government/Native Authority Hospital at Adeoyo, Ibadan following the establishment of a Faculty of Medicine in the University College, Ibadan (now University of Ibadan) in 1948.
The University College hospital (UCH) is strategically located in Ibadan, then the largest city in West Africa which is also the seat of the first University in Nigeria. The physical development of the Hospital commenced in 1953 in its present site and was formally commissioned after completion on 20th November 1957. The University College Hospital , Ibadan was initially commissioned with 500 bed spaces but presently the Hospital has 850 bed spaces and 163 examination couches, The current bed occupancy ranges from 55-60%
The Hospital, at inception in 1948, prior to the Act of parliament, had two clinical Departments (Medicine and Surgery). However, the Hospital has evolved to accommodate about 60 Departments (See Appendix A) among which is the first Department of Nuclear Medicine in Nigeria commissioned by the Honourable Minister of health, Professor Eyitayo Lambo on 27th April 2006. The Hospital and the University of Ibadan, function in excellent symbiosis and it is impossible to think of one without the other, in the areas of health manpower training, research and clinical service. This functional interdependence was emphasized from inception through the appointment of the Chairman of the Provisional Council of the University College, (now University of Ibadan as the first Chairman of the Board of Management of the University College Hospital, Ibadan.
In addition to undergraduate medical programme (Based in the College of Medicine of the University of Ibadan), the UCH also provides for: Postgraduate Residency Training Programmes in all specialties of Internal Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics, Otorhinolaryngology, Ophthalmology, Anesthesia, Laboratory Medicine, Psychiatry, Community Medicine, General Medical Practice, Radiology, Radiotherapy and Dentistry. The University College Hospital also provides diploma /professional programmes in the School of Health Records & Statistics, Environmental Health Officers Tutors Course; Primary Health tutors Course, Nurse/Midwife/Public Health Nurse, Nurse Tutors Course, Post registration Courses in nursing e.g. Peri Operative nursing and Occupational Health Nursing. Also, the Hospital has in-house continous education programmes for Nurses and Midwives in Administration and management (CEPNAM), as well as Plaster Room technician programme.
The hospital is primarily an ideal tertiary institution but it has appendages of community based outreach activities at Igbo Ora, Abedo, Okuku, Sepeteri, Elesu, Jago where the Hospital offers secondary and primary health care. The Hospital has 56 service and clinical departments and runs 96 consultative out-patient clinics a week in 50 specialty and Sub specialty disciplines. In addition to the College of Medicine, the Hospital “houses” a virus Research laboratory, a W.H.O Collaborating Centre in Immunology and an Institute of Advanced Medical Research and Training.(IAMRAT). The Hospital also houses the Special treatment Clinic (STC), a state-of-the-art clinic for research, training and treatment of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and runs clinics for people living with HIV/AIDS. Accreditation has been given for the setting up of a department of nuclear medicine whilst approval has also been given by the federal Ministry of Health for the establishment of an institute of Neurosciences. Satellite Pharmacies are provided on each specialty floor for easy access for the procurement of drugs for patients on admission. A pain clinic and a Hospice service are also on place for the care of terminally ill patients.
The hospital has trained (since its inception) 6,051 Doctors, 501 Dentists, 4,513 Nurses, 2307 Midwives, 471 Peri-Operative nurses, 1062 Laboratory Scientist, 576 Environmental Health officers Tutors, 451 nurse/midwives/Public health educators, 326 Primary Health Care Tutors, 590 Community Health Officers, 640 Physiotherapists, 551 Health information Management Personnel (formally referred to as Medical Records Officers) and 1394 resident Doctors. The patients turn out in the accident and emergency (A & E) Department of the University College Hospital averages 6000 annually and about 150,000 new cases are attended to go through the various clinics every year. In 2001, the million clientele mark was attained. Due to the aforementioned facilities, manpower and track records, the Hospital enjoy wide patronage of both natural and international clientele.
The management of the hospital spurred by the Federal Government efforts in refurbishing the teaching hospital has taken steps to widen the scope of services provided by the resuscitation of the open heart surgical procedure of the Hospital. The performance of this procedure was stopped in the Hospital due to effect of brain drain and lack of functional equipment. With the refurbishment under the FGN/VAMED arrangement, the Hospital has commenced sending its medical personnel for update training courses in open heart surgery. In May 2006, a surgical team successfully performed open heart surgery on three paediatric patients in the Hospital.