The evolution of the department of Community Medicine commenced in 1996 with the creation of the sub-department of Community Medicine along with two other sub-departments from the then department of Preventive and Social Medicine (PSM). The department of PSM was one of the four foundation departments of the Faculty of Medicine, University College , Ibadan in 1948. The department of Community Medicine attained full departmental status in 2000. In 2002, the three departments which evolved from the old department of PSM and the Department of Human Nutrition along with the Institute of Child Health were brought together to form the Faculty of Public Health.
The department of Community Medicine is located in both Faculties of Clinical Sciences and Public Health and serves as the link between Public Health and Clinical Medicine.
To be at the cutting edge of research, training and service in Community Medicine for the attainment of a more cost effective and equitable health system.
As the premier institution for the training of public health physicians and community based health workers in Nigeria, we are committed to improving the health status of the community:
- Developing manpower in Public Health and Community Medicine and especially among physicians and other community based health workers in Africa and other developing countries.
- Providing Continuing Education on current issues in Public Health and Community Medicine
- Conducting collaborative and multi-disciplinary research which has practical applications in solving the health problems of the African population.
- Providing community based health services and specialist care for communities and special groups.
- Offering clinical services at the University College Hospital – Endemic Disease Clinic; Well Persons' Clinic; Occupational Health Clinic and Special Treatment Clinic.